- Nurses must not transmit or place online individually identifiable patient information.
- Nurses must observe ethically prescribed professional patient-nurse boundaries.
- Nurses should understand that patients, colleagues, institutions and employers may view postings.
- Nurses should take advantage of privacy settings and seek to separate personal and professional information online.
- Nurses should bring content that could harm a patient’s privacy, rights or welfare to the attention of appropriate authorities.
- Nurses should participate in developing institutional policies governing online contact.
A free electronic version of the complete guideline is available to all ANA members.